Underwater cities are spookily beautiful. From fairy tales of mermaid villages to speculation about the lost city of Atlantis, there’s just something intriguing about the idea of lost civilizations hiding beneath the sea. For centuries, our imaginations have been captured by the possibilities of sunken treasures and forgotten cities along the ocean floor. That’s why we decided to put together a collection of some of the coolest photos ever taken of underwater cities and ruins.
Not only will you see fascinating photos of sunken cities, you’ll get a peek at some of the most gorgeous, well-preserved artifacts that rest beneath the waves. Thanks to modern technology, these days even us landlubbers are able to get a peak at some of the world’s most astounding underwater artifacts and we never have to wear scuba gear to see them. So if you’ve ever wondered about exploring Cleopatra’s Sunken Palace or seeing Port Royal long after it was hang-out for pirates between treasure raids, come on in, the water is just fine.
This list of photos shows the most astonishing cities and locations that were hidden for centuries, a few of which are believed to contain evidence of some of the most ancient civilizations on Earth. So explore once-thriving ancient cities that ended up in the briny deep with this collection of gorgeous statues, elaborate temples, and underwater cities. Vote up your favorite pictures of sunken cities swept beneath the surface.
1.The Ruins of Pavloperti, Greece Reveal a Complex Ancient Civilization
The city, which is believed by archaeologists to be around 5,000 years old, is still remarkably well preserved and contains around nine acres of ancient houses, gardens, temples, and even evidence of an ancient yet complex plumbing system.
2. Dwarka May Have Been Among the World’s First Known Civilizations
3. Lion City Recaptures China’s Imagination in 2011
4. Lion City’s Underwater Network of Well-Preserved Art
5. Diver Examines a Sphinx Statuette in Alexandria
6. Dolphins Visit the Ancient Indian City of Dwarka
7. The Egyptian Stele That Led to the Lost Site of Thonis-Heracleion
8. The Famous Pirate Cove of Port Royal Lives On Beneath the Waves
9. Lion City: The Atlantis of the East
10. Could Atlantis Be Hiding off the Coast of Cuba?
11. The Sunken Playground of Emperors
12. The Mystery of Japan’s Yonaguni Monument
13. Statue of a Sunken Egyptian God in the Lost City of Canopus
15. Ancient Italy’s Underwater Malibu
16. Roaming the Remains of a 5,000-Year-Old City Near Pavlopetri, Greece
17. One of the Many Rediscovered Relics of Ancient Alexandria
18. What Many Believe Is the Legendary Shore Temple of India
19. The Sunken City Wall of Olous, Crete
20. A Sphinx Looks on as a Priest Carries an Osiris-Jar