Jesus Never Existed – A New Report Finds No Mention Of Jesus In 126 Texts

Jesus never existed. That is the conclusion of a researcher who says he has combed 126 texts written during or shortly after the time Jesus is supposed to have lived — and found no mention of Jesus whatsoever.

The claim that Jesus, the messianic figure at the center of the world’s largest religion, Christianity, was simply a fictional character is not a new one. Advocates of the “Mythical Jesus” theory have been around for years, arguing that the story of Jesus bears a close resemblance to numerous other mythological stories of ancient gods who were born of virgin mothers and performed miracles.

In a new article entitled “The Fable of the Christ,” Michael Paulkovich summarizes his findings, or lack of findings, which lead him to believe that Jesus never actually existed, but is instead a fictional character, made up to give followers of the religion founded in his name a central icon worthy of their worship.

Paulkovich says that only one of the 126 texts he combed through contains any mention of Jesus — and that, he says, is a forgery. That text is the first-century history book The Jewish Wars by the Roman historian Josephus Flavius, who wrote his work in the year 95 CE.

But, despite making his home just one mile from Jesus’s supposed hometown of Nazareth, Josephus appears totally unaware of the famous miracle worker who later went to Jerusalem where he became such a political threat that the Romans found it necessary to execute him by crucifixion.

The few mentions of Jesus in The Jewish Wars, Paulkovich argues, were added by later editors, not by Josephus himself.

Otherwise, says the author, despite the remarkable feats Jesus is alleged to have performed and the great deal of political unrest caused by his arrival in Jerusalem, not a single writer from the time and place of Jesus’s life finds that Jesus so much as rates a footnote.

“Emperor Titus, Cassius Dio, Maximus, Moeragenes, Lucian, Soterichus Oasites, Euphrates, Marcus Aurelius, or Damis of Hierapolis. It seems none of these writers from first to third century ever heard of Jesus, global miracles and alleged worldwide fame be damned,” Paulkovich said in a recent interview.

The Dead Sea Scrolls, also known as the Qumran texts, also contain no mention of Jesus. Even the Apostle Paul, the New Testament figure credited with spreading the new religion that came to be called “Christianity” shortly after the supposed death of Jesus, never says that Jesus was a a real person — even in the Bible itself.

“Paul is unaware of the virgin mother, and ignorant of Jesus’ nativity, parentage, life events, ministry, miracles, apostles, betrayal, trial and harrowing passion,” Paulkovich states. “Paul knows neither where nor when Jesus lived, and considers the crucifixion metaphorical.”

While today Christianity has become the most popular religion in world history, with 2.2 billion human beings calling themselves Christians, Paulkovich points out that as late as the the Fourth Century, Christianity was still a small and widely persecuted cult.

The invention of a mythical figure for followers of the cult to rally around gave the early Christians the strength to survive, according to this theory. On the other hand, another recent advocate of the “Mythical Jesus” believes that Christ was invented by the Romans as propaganda to pacify the public.

“When I consider those 126 writers, all of whom should have heard of Jesus but did not — and Paul and Marcion and Athenagoras and Matthew with a tetralogy of opposing Christs, the silence from Qumran and Nazareth and Bethlehem, conflicting Bible stories, and so many other mysteries and omissions,” Paulkovich writes, “I must conclude that Christ is a mythical character.”

Share Button

46 Responses to Jesus Never Existed – A New Report Finds No Mention Of Jesus In 126 Texts

1. Glen Kippel says:

The Dead Sea Scrolls (Qumran Scrolls) are Old Testament, and some miscellaneous other writings and of course would have no mention of Jesus. The book of Job doesn’t, either, and that is no proof for the nonexistence of Jesus.

2. cary says:

If he DID live contemporary writers would have heard of him and written about him.

3. Edward Roberts says:

Ok hotshot.. You’re on. You prove his existence. I’ll wait.

4. Jacques Gallaher says:

There is another book to check, the Kolbrin bible, one of those books survived the burning of books.

5. Danny says:

LOL! There’s no proof for the “nonexistence” of Leprachauns, Mermaids, or Dragons, either. That’s illogical. Find the extra-biblical contemporary accounts of Jesus – I dare you. Not a word was written during his supposed lifetime, nor for decades after, at best. The anonymously-written synoptic gospels were all from the same source – “Mark” – and the gospel according to “John” was written hundreds of years after the supposed life of Jesus. Further, it doesn’t even agree on the date of his death, not to mention many other important points.

If dead saints rose from the grave & were seen by “many”, why didn’t any single one of the contemporary scribes or historians write a single word about them?

You can’t point to the bible as a source of evidence for Jesus, since you cannot even say who wrote the gospels. Neither can any legitimate historian, christian or not.

Weak sauce, man. Use a little critical thought, and investigate claims BEFORE deciding upon the answers. When you start with the answers first, you don’t have a chance of finding factual truth.

6. Jimny ward says:

Josephus is important in what he did or did not write more so than one would think, he was a commander of a zealot army, they were in that time the heretical enforcers of the talmud/torah, his forces masssacred a dispatch of legionnaires in the dessert outside Jerusalem and were hunted down like dogs for it, Titus then sacked the temple and forced Josephus to watch afterwards sent him into Rome to be auctioned, he as a zealot leader would have said far more than a sentences if thw Christ had lived it would have been after all the Messiah, in the new testament his words were that he would do everything in the life span of the disciples, never did, immortal being cannot die anyways so no sacrifice their either. All fiction.

7. Zelda F. Williams says:

Crap sells, Big Time

Every year around this time someone comes out with some outlandish claim about JESUS Our LORD. It goes in cycles, He was married, some new lost gospel, or He never existed. Endless, endless attacks. Really?

Dude makes this attack:

Really? Well Paul how about this:

For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it; and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions. But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus. Galatians 1:11-17 NASB

Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him fifteen days. But I did not see any other of the apostles except James, the Lord’s brother. (Now in what I am writing to you, I assure you before God that I am not lying.)
    Galatians 1:18-20 NASB

Paul knows JESUS, very well:

at midday, O King, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining all around me and those who were journeying with me. “And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew dialect, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ “And I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And the Lord said, ‘I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. ‘But get up and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you; rescuing you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you, to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.’ Acts 26:13-18 NASB

So, either this guy who wrote this stuff doesn’t know The Bible, or he is a liar. Both equally bad especially if you’re coming out with a book that can be easily refuted.

8. Keith Cantrell says:

The Qumran Scrolls were filed away by the Essenes who lived at the time of Christ. If he lived they would surely have known about him and mentioned him. They weren’t that far away from Jerusalem and news of his miracles and preaching would have reached them in a timely manner.

9. Laura says:

What a bunch of crap. Clearly the author is not only misinformed he even cannot google. 😛

Quotes from the New Testament in the Dead Sea Scrolls

Finally, after a public relations campaign demanded the release of the unpublished scrolls to other scholars, the last of the unpublished scrolls were released to the academic world. To the great joy and surprise of many scholars, the scrolls contain definite references to the New Testament and, most importantly, to Jesus of Nazareth. In the last few years several significant scrolls were released that shed new light on the New Testament and the life of Jesus. One of the most extraordinary of these scrolls released in 1991 actually referred directly to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

The Crucified Messiah Scroll

In 1991 the world was astonished to hear that one of the unpublished scrolls included incredible references to a “Messiah” who suffered crucifixion for the sins of men. The scroll was translated by Dr. Robert Eisenman, Professor of Middle East Religions of California State University. He declared, “The text is of the most far-reaching significance because it shows that whatever group was responsible for these writings was operating in the same general scriptural and Messianic framework of early Christianity.” Although the original scroll team still claimed that there was no evidence about early Christianity in the unpublished scrolls, this new scroll totally contradicted their statements. This single scroll is earth-shaking in its importance. As Dr. Norman Golb, Professor of Jewish History at the University of Chicago said, “It shows that contrary to what some of the editors said, there are lots of surprises in the scrolls, and this is one of them.”

10. Jesus never existed, he was created by the romans to deceive the public to follow the pagan gods.

11. William says:

My little pony never mentioned Harry Potter or Gandalf once, that is no proof for the nonexistance of wizards.

You are trying to prove something exists based on lack of evidence that it does exist. You can’t do that. You can only prove something exists based on evidence supporting the fact that it exists.

If you take away your silly double negative your statement reads: “and that is proof for the existence of Jesus.”

Do you understand?

12. JJones says:

Good for you to respond. 😊

13. Conan says:

Myth created to control the masses

14. SpyderJ says:

Absence of evidence IS evidence of absence.

15. SpyderJ says:

None of this evidences a real person called Jesus. Neither a bright light or a voice someone claimed they heard out on th road is proof of an actual living human being. Nor does it negate the fact that Paul could have just been crazy and having hallucinations.
    Your proof is worthless anyway since its culled from the Wholly Babble anyway, a notoriously contradictory, untrustworthy and provably fraudulent account whose provenance is a mystery and its veracity of no consequence.

16. Doug Roberts says:

Er, the two quotes you’ve provided rather prove his point. Paul had Jesus “revealed” to him by God, and he didn’t recognise Jesus’ voice.

Might at least try to find some quotes that don’t reinforce the other guy’s argument. Christian logic, lol.

17. Omar says:

You’re using scripture to prove him wrong??? The Bible is NOT a book of historical facts whatsoever. I’m not saying the author has disproved Jesus’ existence beyond a doubt, but you have proven nothing. All you’ve done is quoted a fictional book. Thanks for the laughs though.

18. Yea maybe, but according to adulterer Bill Clinton, “that it depends on what is is”…

19. Michael Adam Reale says:

He may have existed but not really been that noteworthy of an individual to be mentioned. There were so many alleged messiahs in the 1st Century.

20. Octavio Po says:

I agree with Enoch Essuman, Conan and Irvens Fenélus(good blog).Jesus never existed. It´s only a Great Manipulation of dominant elite. Since today. See all history of slavery, colonialismo and religious wars. A shame!!!

21. Chris says:

Well by that logic, any book you’ve ever read before pictures were invented has to be fiction if you yourself wasn’t there to witness the events personally. I’m not saying if or if not the Bible is true but any book written in that age would only be based on what the person is saying. If you weren’t there to witness it then you have no way of knowing what really happened or the exact circumstances on which they did or didn’t occur.

22. Tony Pelliccio says:

Well there was Josephus but he’s been proven wrong time and again.

23. dick Tease says:

Of course he never lived neither did Horus or the other 10 or so Gawd’s born on December 25th who sighted the blind, healed the sick and walked on water…update Noah Ark did not carry the Dinosaurs to safety due to a labor dispute between him and his 600 year old sons, ya see they formed a union and refused to work more than 8 hours a day and Noah with no other options had to design a smaller Ark that could not accommodate the large mammals….in other news of the day Muhammad promises 72 virgins for those who switch from Christianity to Geico Islam.

24. Richard Reiser says:

So delusions are evidence?

25. Richard Reiser says:

Show us the texts. You can’t.

26. Vicki Ellis says:

People get all caught up in the literalism. Seriouslt, who cares if a “mythological entity” (any entity who cannot be proven)is actual? Religions are ways some people use to connect to “God”, an inaccurate, finite title for an infinite force none of us can entirety get a grasp on. If someone finds joy are peace in honoring and worshiping such a gateway, and they are not beating another person up with said belief, it’s not my business to prove their deity didn’t exist. Use all that brain energy to come up with a cure for cancer. ..

27. Bimston says:

If you would expect to find evidence, and instead find none, that indicates that your hypothesis is incorrect. This doesn’t disprove anything in a mathematically conclusive way. Instead, it builds a probabilistic case against the hypothesis. For each time you expect evidence and find none, you must reduce the expected probability that the evidence is there at all. Conversely, no amount of evidence can ever be confirmatory in the way that a mathematical proof is, but a few lines of strong evidence in the appropriate context can shed any reasonable doubt. All of the analytical scholarship on Biblical accuracy casts deep doubts on the Jewish patriarchs (esp. Abraham and Moses) ever having existed, and a growing continent of historians say the evidence for Jesus is similarly shoddy.

28. Phillip Hayes says:

My thought exactly.

29. Ian Wright says:

There’s no proof that JC was not an alien, either.

30. Martin Davies says:

I have read quite extensively on this very subject recently as there have been quite a very historians and other researcher who have reached the same conclusion.
    I used to believe (due to childhood indoctrination) but when I started to think for myself and realised that all religion is basically made up nonsense, this was an very interesting subject to read. There is no evidence for the existence of Jesus (as there is also not evidence for God), in fact the Jesus character of the gospels and the Christ figure in the rest of the new testament appear to be completely different ‘people’! It certainly makes sense to me that the Jesus character was ‘added in’ quite some time after Christianity had established itself.
    I tend to lean towards the thinking that Jesus was invented by the Romans to give the Jews their messiah that they had been waiting for, but instead of a mighty war leader come to banish the enemy they portrayed him as, basically a peace loving hippy!

31. tertia says:

Jesus exist I don’t need evidence to make me believe. Just to look around me and my life makes me realise God is alive

32. Robert Jones says:

Edward Roberts, you CAN’T prove what has been proven NOT to be, grow up,

33. Robert Jones says:

The bible is a CLAIM, it isn’t evidence, and here’s the most important EVIDENCE of the non existence of “jesus”. There are NO mentions of god or jesus,in ANY history book of ANY type. Had these mythical creatures been REAL, there would be proven, peer reviewed authenticated published information describing time, place, and circumstance. Asit is, nothing of the sort is real….the bible?…..NONSENSE!It’s full of murder, rape,slavery selling or murdering your own children, stoning, and all kinds of crap!

34. John Birch says:

But, Vicki, that is the problem. With very exceptions followers of religious beliefs don’t just keep it to themselves. Many theists will demand that I believe what they believe, with (in some countries) threats of death if I do not. Even those who do not go quite that far will nonetheless demand things such as the right to limit what I can eat or drink, or the right to limit what pictures I might like to draw, or what I do on certain days of the week, or the right to not pay taxes, or to have automatic seats in Parliament. And so on and so on.

35. K G says:

What we may not see should not dictate its validity. Everyone is entitled to what they believe in, and me believing in Jesus/God doesn’t make me any better or less than you. However, we can all agree that life was indeed created from something. Whatever your belief is, one day we will all meet whome or whatever our maker is.

36. Bill says:

Fox news was there, they reported it truthfully and without bias. So the reporters stories in the Bible (edited and censored by the church)Must be fact. We do not see Fox news ever misguiding stories for popular ratings or any other news factions sensationalizing happenings to sway the masses so if its written therefor must be true. Religion is a fantasy delved from first man that there had to be more than birth and death, else why strive so hard just to die.

37. Ez says:

“Proof of NONEXISTENCE”… Hahahaha!

38. Kwame Ajamu says:

But if Jesus really exisited, sand had the rock star status that the gospels give him, then some writer around his time and place would have mentioned him.

The literature that we call Dead Sea Scrolls today, was still being written about 40 years after jesus supposedly lived, and began about a century before he was supposedly born, and they remain silent of Jesus, and they were a library, in a way, of the messianic movement of Christ time and place of activity, they were the bona fide, un blemished literature of the Messianic Movement and tradition, that Jesus Christ, supposedly belonged to, and nothing.

To me, the burden of proof is on those who say that Christ existed, and not on those who rightfully point to the massive lack of evidence, for his existence at all!.

39. Yochanan says:

You guys keep calling the Bible a work of fiction but Real Historian with degrees who do real research on history consider a reputable historical document. Every year archaeologists make finds that substantiate something written in the Bible that was previously thought to be fictional. Most recently they found the town that Mary Magdalene was from and it provided a great deal of information on that period of History that relates to someone that knew Jesus the man.

40. Yochanan says:

The Essenes by the very nature of their beliefs were recluses and did not want to be involved with the society around them. As an earlier person commented, the scrolls themselves were copies of books from the Old Testament and therefore would not have reference Jesus or any other contemporary figure. I’m sorry, but as a researcher, Paulkovich is very biased!

41. thefunivehad says:

John was written after the turn of the 1st century, ca. 110-ish ACE…NOT “hundreds of years” after Jesus’ life. Your point is taken, but you might do well to be more careful with your hyperbole.

42. thefunivehad says:

I think you miss the point of the article here. We know things to be “true” because of a corroboration of independent sources who write about the same thing and then using science (as much as can be used) to corroborate that. Using the bible itself, while it may appear to be compelling, is a circular source. The are no other sources that independently point to a person who walked the earth healing people and who, after dying, caused dead people to walk around the earth for a while.

Just like there are no independent accounts of a guy named Moses leading millions of slaves out of bondage.

The closest we have to this kind of corroborative proof is the flood. But that mythology long predates the Noah story, and since there is no real evidence of a universal world-wide deluge, it’s considered myth…a beautiful story about death and rebirth.

The OP has a point about the article’s take on Paul’s take. But if you read the scripture quoted, there is still no first-hand account of Paul meeting Jesus (they were contemporary) and only of Paul meeting with Peter and James (Jesus’ brother…which is highly debated by RCs because according to them, Mary was forever a virgin) which still puts the ball in your court to prove that Peter and this James guy weren’t making things up either.

Those gospels and Paul’s epistles were not written as historical accounts in the same way we write history today…they were freely embellished and by now it’s hard to be able to separate any truth from embellishment. Some scholars think that the primary source (source Q) that Mark comes from, was just a collection of sayings…it was up to the later Gospel writers to put Jesus in a context (on a mount, on the road, in Cana, etc) and then give him stuff to say in that context. As crazy as that sounds to us today, it was common practice then.

If there is anything wrong with Xtianity today, it is such shoddy scholarship and understanding the complex background surrounding the writing of the collection of books called the New Testament. It is a lot more complicated than a lot of people think.

43. Richard Moriarty says:

As I have no written evidence that any of you exist, then according to the above theory, your opinions are obviously irrelevant forgeries written to support a statement by a failing author of a crap paper. Since none of you exist and I can find no written evidence that I exist either, using the above theory my statement must be false too because there is no documentary proof that I am real. If none of us are real and we are the only people making an argument for or against the theory that Jesus was real then we have a problem since many people believe that Jesus the Christ rose from the dead and entered into eternal life – so must still exist, then according to the theory we either exist and have provided documentary mention of Jesus Christ as his contemporaries, or we don’t exist in which case all of this is a load of bollocks anyway.

44. James Santigo says:

This is such a great site keep up the good work.

45. David Duby says:

Which came first truth or truthfulness.